THE JAFFNA PUBLIC LIBRARY
The Jaffna Public Library is situated on the Kankesanthurai Road in Jaffna. The library complex was built around 1933, the Indo-Saracenic style of architecture was designed by famous architect Narasimhan from Madras, India. The first major wing of the library was ceremonially opened by Mayor of Jaffna Alfred Duraiappah in 1959.
There were about 97,000 books and over 10,000 manuscripts and some of the books were priceless. All these precious collections were consigned to the flames when the Jaffna Public Library was burnt down in 1981. It was one of the largest libraries in South Asia. Later the Jaffna Public Library was rebuilt and inaugurated in 2003 and it’s priceless collection could never be fully restored. In front of the library complex a statue of Goddess Saraswathi is placed.