THE RUINS OF A PORTUGUESE CATHOLIC CHURCH AT CHANKANAI (1641)
Chankanai is a town located about 12 km North-West of the city of Jaffna. The Catholic Church in Chankanai was dedicated to the Holy Trinity and it was one of the largest Catholic church. It had 8,500 Christians in 1628 spread over Chankani, Tolpuram and Chulipuram. A new Church was built of coral-stone in 1641 and the ruins of the Catholic church can be seen even today.